Contacts in Gmail: understanding and organizing your Google Contacts
How can I sync all of my Gmail contacts to Contacts+?
1. Figure out where all of your Gmail contacts live. Here's a good place to start. Are they in your My Contacts? Other Contacts? Groups? Directory? Google has a few different lists.
2. Are you using the new or old version of Google Contacts? The new version, called Google Contacts Preview, has a blue and white interface.
3. Make sure that all of the contacts you want syncing with Contacts+ exist in your My Contacts. Contacts+ only syncs with My Contacts. If you need to move contacts to your My Contacts (from another list), you'll find instructions at the very bottom of this article.
4. Once your My Contacts list is in good shape, sync your Gmail account to your Contacts+ account. You'll do this on your Sync Sources.
5. From there, click Add Sync Source -> Choose Google.
Do I have contacts in Gmail?
If you've created a Gmail account (and have sent at least a few emails), you have contacts in your Gmail address book. These are called your Google Contacts. In other words, with a Gmail account, you automatically have a Gmail address book, you're just likely unable to find it.
How can I find my contacts in Gmail?
You can find your contacts in Gmail (also known as your Google Contacts) a few different ways:
Option 1: Click on this link.
Option 2: Log into your Gmail account, click on Mail in the upper left-hand corner, then click Contacts.
Option 3: Log into your Gmail account, click on the Google Apps dashboard in the upper right-hand corner, then click Contacts.
Am I using the old or the new version of Google Contacts?
You're either going to see the old or new version of Google Contacts once you access your contacts in Gmail. If you're seeing a red and white interface on the left-hand side, you're using the old version of Google Contacts. If you're seeing a blue interface, you're using Google Contacts Preview (which is new).
How many different contact lists does Google create for me?
Google will create a few different lists for you, such as My Contacts, Other Contacts, Groups, Circles, Directory, and more. You can read about these different lists here.
You'll want to pay close attention to your My Contacts, as this is the only list that Contacts+ syncs with. In other words, if you've connected (or are thinking about connecting) your Gmail account to Contacts+, the only list Contacts+ has access to is your My Contacts in Google.
How do I know if I have contacts in my My Contacts in my Gmail account?
Head over to your Google Contacts, then view your My Contacts in the upper left-hand corner.
To note: if you are using the new version of Google Contacts called Google Contacts Preview (it has a blue interface), you will not be able to easily distinguish between your My Contacts and the other lists in Google.
We highly recommend that you switch back to the old version of Gooogle Contacts to easily find your My Contacts. Here are the steps to revert back to the old version of Google Contacts:
1. Click on More (left-hand side dashboard)
2. Click Leave the contacts preview
How do I add contacts from other lists to my My Contacts in Google?
To easily add contacts, either click the box next to each contact's name or you can bulk-select contacts and add them to your My Contacts. In other words, to make sure all of your Google Contacts are in your Contacts+, move contacts from one list - i.e. your Other Contacts - to your My Contacts.
In the new version of Google Contacts, you can individually add contacts to your My Contacts or bulk-select contacts and add them to your My Contacts (using the +Person icon).
Is Contacts+ syncing all of my Google Contacts?
Not necessarily. Contacts+ is only syncing with your My Contacts in Google. Again, while Google has a few different lists (My Contacts, Other Contacts, Directory, etc.), make sure any contacts you want syncing with your Contacts+ account exist in your My Contacts. See our Getting Started for Web app guide for more instructions.
To manually add Other Contacts to Contacts+, go to your Sync Sources -> … next to your Google Account -> Search for other contacts in Google.
What are Google's contact storage limits?
Google has three different storage limits for contacts, which are posted on a Google Apps Help Page. These limits for Google Apps accounts also appear to apply to normal Google accounts.
- The total number of contacts in a Google account must be 25,000 or less. Please Note: This includes Other Contacts as well as My Contacts. Read about Other Contacts vs. My Contacts here. Contacts+ only brings in My Contacts from Google, so it is possible that you may run into your storage limit in Google even if you have less than 25,000 total Google Contacts in Contacts+. We have a helpful article here about organizing your Google Contacts.
- The total size of these contacts must not exceed 20 MB.
- Individual contacts must not exceed 128 KB in size.